Pointing, he asked "those"
me--no those are air conditioning ducts.
me--no, that is the security camera.
Then he told me some facts (according to him)
- women are much smarter than men
- he was in WWII
- Jesus was born in a manger
- he was born with the help of a midwife
- he lived in the home he was born in for 65 years
- his name is Bruno
- his father's name is Bruno
- his grandfather's name is Bruno
- he was watching television and saw that a gorilla was recently born at the zoo and was named Bruno
- he never had any children
- he just might send the zoo some money for Bruno
- he now lives in Covina, he has only lived in 2 homes all his life
- he can't pass the driving test so he is on a temporary license
- he was at Pearl Harbor
- he has seen much in his lifetime
- he has been blessed
- he used to let homeless men live with him for $1 a day
- Charlie messed up the plumbing something fierce
- he is a good Christian, so he forgave Charlie, Charlie died 3 years later
- he told me I should make sure to lock my doors while driving
- he said he once had two men try to get into his car...his doors were locked and when he saw they had guns...he "put the pedal to the metal" and got out of there
- make sure you always lock your doors!
- he loaned his sister $5,000.00 so she could buy a home in Big Bear, that was 15 years ago
- I heard many stories about friends and loved ones that have gone to Heaven
- he talked about a terrible accident where twin sisters were badly hurt (one later passed on), it was a woman driver that hit them
As the conversation flowed I asked him about the bag he was holding and if his dinner was inside. Yes, his dinner was in the bag. So then I asked if enjoyed eating his dessert before he ate his meal? With the rather devious smile he said that ice cream tended to bring out the kid in him....now that's my kind of guy! The sun was setting and I encouraged my new 80 year old friend Bruno, to gather his food and head on home. Reluctantly we said our goodbyes and I headed out to my car. When I turned around to see if he was following, he was standing near the salsa bar.
Today I met Bruno.
I don't know if he was just lonely or maybe a little confused, but I feel good that I slowed down enough to listen to a man that had things that he felt needed to be said.
When I finally arrived home with our dinner my salad was a little wilted and Jerry's food was cooler that usual but it was so worth it!
Today I met Bruno
Tonight I will include Bruno in my prayers!